Total Pageviews

Friday, April 13, 2012

RS Interview Project

Interview Project

Participants:
Asma V. : 21 year old college student
Tony D. : 56 year old piano teacher
Joanie A. : 72 year old retiree

1.     In your lifetime, what city that you are familiar with has changed the most (both positive and negative)?

Asma V. : In my lifetime the city that has changed the most would be my home town, Bridgeport, CT. Over the years, things have gone both ways. I remember when downtown Bridgeport was a place where you could do great shopping, and then all of a sudden the big mall was gone and downtown turned into a place that you wouldn’t dare go. But now a days, downtown Bridgeport has turned into a cultural and arts center, there are many small shops opening up, and a lot more people venture into downtown instead of staying away from it.


Tony D.  Bridgeport, CT – there is higher crime, a collapsing infrastructure, and corrupt politics


Joanie A. Bridgeport, CT, which was a major industrial city for most of the last century and was where my family from both sides moved to live and work, has become the place where no one wants to be…no jobs, no industry, high taxes, bad schools, slums and for the most part, corrupt politicians running the city. 

2.     In your opinion, what president had the biggest positive impact on the economy? Why?

Asma V. From what I can remember, the time of President Clinton was very economically positive. Everything was just in the right place. It was during the 90’s that my family was doing so well that we were able to move out of our two bedroom apartment in the ghetto of Bridgeport to our current home in the north end of the city. I remember family vacations and road trips during the summer. Everything was priced just right and there was no reason to worry about the cost of something.


Tony D. Franklin D. Roosevelt, because he got the country out of the depression


Joanie A. Ronald Reagan…he was lucky enough to be governing in the good times


3.     What is your first memory of a major economic event impacting your life?


Asma V. My first memory of the economy being bad was during the summer of 2008.This was the summer that my first semester college tuition was due, and even with all the financial aid I was getting, we still had a hard time coming up with the money. I even considered, after my third semester at my school, transferring to a state school which had a cheaper tuition


Tony D. The Gas Crisis of 1974 when there was an oil/gas “shortage”, making gas prices sky rocket, and causing long lines at the gas station and the act of getting gas to be more of a times event then something you did casually.


Joanie A.  The war in the Middle East



4.     How do you get economic news? How has this changed over your life
Asma V. I usually get my economic news from the internet or from hearing about things from my professors. I never really paid too much attention to economic news until the past few years, and it’s always been the same way.


Tony D. Television news broadcasts, the internet, the New York Times, and general reading. The only thing that has changed over time is the internet.


Joanie A.  I get it from the newspapers, television and people smarter than myself and it has not changed much over my life.
5.     What is your definition of economics (when you hear the word economy or economics what do you think about)?
Asma V. Economics is the study of the consumption of goods and spending of money.


Tony D. The root of the word “economy” comes from the Greek. It means efficient management of the household and scarce resources.
(I swear that was off the top of his head!)

Joanie A.  Having a good job and being able to afford to live well, now and in the future    
6.     How do you deal will rising prices e.g. substitute cheaper brand, stop buying? Any examples?

Asma V. To deal with raising prices, for example gas for the car, I try to use less, and try not to drive unnecessarily. 


Tony D. Buy store brand instead of brand name.


Joanie A Stop buying what is unnecessary, cheaper brands aren’t always bad, eat out less, don’t waste money on things you don’t really need.  Keep it simple

7.     What product or service has most changed over your lifetime?

Asma V. The service that has changed most during my life is the internet. I remember trying to get online when I was nine or ten, waiting for the AOL dial up to connect, then having to get off ten minutes later because I was tying up the phone line. There was never really anything to do online either. I would sign on, check my email, which was always empty since this was before the time of “spam”, check to see if any of my friends were online so we could instant message each other, and then sign off.


Tony D. The internet, telecommunications, electronics


Joanie A. TELEPHONES!!!
8.     How do you handle saving and how has this changed

Asma V. I only work part time since I am a full time student, so my pay check is pretty measly. But I have two accounts with my bank, a checking account where I put spending money, and a savings account, where I deposit a portion of my check into weekly. I used to keep money at home, but I ended up spending most of it because it was within arm’s reach.


Tony D. I have a savings account, always have.


Joanie A. Don’t save…have most of the things we saved for when we were young
9.     What was the price of gas when you got your first car?

Asma V. I think gas prices were around $3.25 or so at that time.


Tony D. Forty-five cents


Joanie A. If I can remember, about 19.9 cents per gallon (unbelievable, right?)
10.What was your wage at your first job?

Asma V. Minimum wage, $8.25


Tony D. Minimum wage, around $3.50, or $4.00


Joanie A. $1.00 per hour

Surveys


No comments:

Post a Comment